Pass Driving School Covid Health and Safety Policy.
Update amendment as from 19/07/21 .
Under the Step 4 Uk Government Roadmap out of lockdown the DVSA is still expecting all of the existing routines, face masks, sanitation, ventilation to continue for both driving lessons and tests until further notice. Thank you for your continuation of cooperation with keeping every one safe in lessons
Please be assured that Pass Driving School will be following the updated Covid Health England/Government Advice to ensure that all driving lessons will be undertaken in an environment conducive to good health and well being for all.
By following the guidance in this policy, it is the intention that risks for both students and instructors of being unwell with Covid-19 are minimised.
Instructor Self Assessment
Instructors must obviously take their own risk self-assessment based on Government Guidance in relation to particular personal health issues they, or anyone in their family may have, to ensure they take any additional safety measures that make them comfortable. Pass Driving School takes no responsibility for any instructor who becomes ill with Covid-19 symptoms.
Before lessons for the day and in between lessons instructors will………
1. have washed/ sanitised their hands and will have hand sanitiser available for students to use as, and when needed, throughout the lesson time in the car,
2 have sanitised the exterior door handles and the internal driving area start controls/ keys window controls, interior door handles, brake, seat belt, keys etc,
3. be having the windows open during the lesson to ensure good ventilation, and will encourage students to wear suitable clothing to be comfortable,
4. as from 24/09/20 the Government intends it to be mandatory for face masks / coverings to be worn in cars where social distancing is less than a metre and where people are from different households, taxi’s, private hire cars…………. therefore masks or face coverings will be required for all driving lessons unless…………
- any instructor or student has any physical/health/ mental health issues of any kind ie asthma, anxiety etc), that prevents them from wearing a mask, and can support their personal situation with an exempt card, or similar should they be stopped for not doing so, otherwise a fine may be incurred (currently £200 on the first occasion).
- Pass Driving School holds no responsibility for instructors or students receiving a fine, in the event of them being stopped for not wearing a mask, and not being able to support their individual situation,
5. will dispose of used wipes/ tissues at the end of each lesson into plastic bag or container in the boot,
6. will not be looking face to face, only sideways within the car environment.
It is the expectation that all students take responsibility for their own health and ensure they have taken the course of action below, that supports our Pass Driving School Covid Health and Safety Policy before each lesson and ………
- ensure that they are well, with no Covid symptoms (no temperature, fever, persistent dry cough etc), or not been in contact with anyone with Covid symptoms or self isolating prior to their lessons each week,
- in the event of not feeling well with Covid symptoms the student MUST contact the instructor as soon as they are aware (day/s), or evening before, or on the morning of the same day),and re schedule the lesson when the student is well.
Any students currently at school and who are required to self -isolate for 10-14 days (as a result of someone in their school having a positive COVID test), must NOT attend lessons until AFTER the self isolation period .
Health and Safely is paramount!
Revised Pass Terms and Conditions On such occasions there will be no charge for the lesson and the expectation will be that the student will apply for a Covid Test, and if positive, will self isolate for 14 days, with no driving lessons until after that period. Please note: In all other situations late cancellations (less than 24 hours), will result in the usual T & C cancellation charge being made,
- wear appropriate warm clothing that covers arms and legs as the windows will be open,or as much as is possible to ensure good ventilation throughout the entire lesson.
- wash hands thoroughly for 20 seconds, immediately before leaving the house for the lesson and entering the car, to wear a face mask or similar face covering, unless exempt as previously mentioned.
- We appreciate these are not ideal, but do offer another barrier for both the instructor and the student and will also contain an involuntary cough or sneeze should it occur in a lesson. Masks/face coverings will provide some protection for everyone concerned, should either be Covid asymptomatic of which they are unaware. It would be appreciated if students could fetch their own mask or face covering that is comfortable to them to the lesson each week (and maybe a bottle of water).
(NB Disposable gloves are NOT required, as hands will be pre washed before the lesson and sanitised throughout as required, although these are optional should a student wish to fetch to use) .
During current driving lessons no family members or friends are able to be in the car in lessons.
At the start of each lesson :
- The instructor will text when arrived .The student is requested to wait outside by the car on the instructor’s arrival, as the instructor needs to ensure all is well to start the lesson and before the student enters the car. If any doubt about the health of a student the lesson may need to be rescheduled.
- The student must fetch their record/appointment card and a pen with them, for each lesson, so that they can record the areas covered and date/ payment, as the instructor will not be doing personally at the current time and will record similarly on their instructor records and fetch a mask to wear for their lesson.
- At the end of the lesson it is important for the student to wash their hands on return to their house (and optionally change and wash clothes ).
For NEW students, please either send the instructor the last 8 characters on your driving licence and check code, so that it can be electronically checked at http://www.gov.uk/check-driving-informationor alternatively send a photo of their licence to the instructor so it can be confirmed it is correct and valid .
PAYMENTS for lessons
It would be preferable and advisable if students can make payments via the Pass Website online, or (via BACS to the instructor if discussed and agreed by the student and happy to do ), rather than cash (or as agreed with the individual instructor).
In agreeing to these guidelines and starting /resuming lessons it is recognised that the student holds no responsibility to Pass Driving School or Pass Instructors in the event of them being unwell with Covid -19. Before the first lesson starts the student must copy, paste and return the text that they have read and agreed to the Covid-19 Terms. N.B. All new students should receive a COVID information text from their instructor prior to their first lesson with the disclaimer return text on.
Taking a test
On arrival at the test centre the examiner’s side of the car, including, seat, head restraint, seatbelt and its connection, dashboard area and passenger door contact points will be sanitised.
It is likely that the student only, will be allowed in the Test Centre.
The instructor will not be allowed to accompany the student in the test
The instructor may not be allowed to attend the de-briefing at the end of the test .
Masks have to be worn for tests; the test will not go ahead without a mask being worn.
Any questions or queries a student may have, please contact their instructor or contact Pass Driving School direct .
On behalf of Pass Driving School, we would like to thank all our current and new students and our wonderful team of Instructors for their continued support in following and adhering to these routines and in their consideration of others, in keeping everyone safe and well in these unusual times.
This Policy will be under regular review in line with changes made by the Government and Public Health and Safety Guidance
June 2020 /Reviewed 23/09/20, 01/12/20, 31/03/2021, Updated 17/07/2021 GFK